The following is transcribed from zeroxed copies of a series of articles that appeared in the Antigonish Casket in 1896. They were located in the Beaton Institute biographic folder of D. D. MacFarlane, the supposed author. The transcription chiefly follows the sections as numbered in the folder, except that, based on another partial copy of the series which is also in the folder, sections 24, 25 and part of 26 were inserted within section 18. Italicized notes initialed DMF are by Don MacFarlane, the transcriber. Other italicized notes are from handwritten comments on the copies in the folder, author unknown.

The Parish of South-West Margaree

Antigonish Casket 1896

(Supposed author D. D. MacFarlane-DMF)

 

The writer hopes that the following sketch of his native parish, its position, resources, early settlers and whence they came, the family connections formed, the clergy and parish buildings, the schools, and a few other matters of more or less importance will not prove uninteresting to too many readers of THE CASKET. He believes that in a few years at most when all the old land marks will have disappeared, much of the information he is about to give will not be obtainable, and the greater part of the early history of the parish will be forgotten, or at best but imperfectly known through the unreliable traditions of the place.

The Parish of S. W. Margaree may be said to lie in the very heart of Inverness County. It occupies both sides of the Margaree River from near Scottsville, its source in Lake Ainslie to Margaree Forks, a distance of some 12 miles. Here at the Forks, the N.E. Branch joins the S. W. one, and the two, proud of their united forces, sweep on majestically and empty their waters in the Gulf of St. Lawrence, eight miles away. The parish is walled in on the eastern and western sides by mountain ranges, or rather a series of high hills, which run at various distances from the river valley and gradually converge toward the south. Across the mountains on the west side is the parish of Broad Cove, and behind the range on the east side we find Big Brook and Middle River settlements.

Beautiful intervales, from a quarter to a half mile in width, extend along the river valley yielding year after year without any

(One line unreadable at this point, top of section five. DMF)

hay. Behind the intervale the land rises somewhat abruptly from fifty to one hundred feet, and forms the uplands, which up to within a recent period yielded excellent crops of hay, wheat and other grains and vegetables. But since the dry period began some six or seven years ago, the only crops that are successfully raised upon the uplands are potatoes, turnips and some garden vegetables and fruits. Still further back upon the mountain sides the land is yet covered with forests of maple, birch, beech, spruce and a sprinkling of elm, poplar, ash, juniper and pine; the home of foxes, rabbits, partridges and many other pretty birds, and a few bears.

John L. Macdougall, that clever barrister and fascinating writer, in his sketches of Inverness some years ago in the CASKET has this to say of the place: "In earliest years immense catches of alewives were yearly occurrences along this beautiful river, affording to the settlers an ample supply of food fish, besides large quantities for exportation. Of recent years this fishery has been, as compared with former times, practically nil. I hope it may yet revive. Gaspereaux was always the first fish that struck our coast after the opening of navigation, and, you may believe, it came with welcome flavor and freshness to our people in the spring. Trout and salmon still abound here. Hundreds of men from different parts of the world, some of them fugitives from toil and care, others, the lords of lazy luxury - pay the homage of their holidays to the merry murmurs of the Margaree."

The first settler in this parish was Archibald Cameron, who came here with his family from Antigonish about the year 1815. He was a native of Barra, but I understand his ancestors came originally from Lochaber. He took up a farm upon the west side of Margaree, a little above the Forks. His sons Donald and Angus settled on lots to the north of their father's. Dougald and Michael remained on the old man's lot. Martin, John and Alexander bought farms for themselves in the neighborhood.

The next settler is supposed to have been Donald McVarish, a native of Moidart, who settled on the lot now partly owned by James J. McDonald. He is said to have been a man of uncommon physical strength, but had too many of the qualities of the lamb to be dreaded.

The third settler was also a Moidart man - Allan McDonald (Capt.), who took up that beautiful farm on the west side of the river opposite S. W. Chapel, in the year 1816. He left the native heath in 1815, and heard of the great victory at Waterloo shortly after arriving in Halifax. He married Catherine, a daughter of the late Angus Smith of Broad Cove Chapel. Perhaps none of the early settlers grasped the axe and the hoe more firmly and successfully than he. He was always a great worker; he seemed truly to have been "to the manner born."

About the same time John Collins, senr., settled on the farm adjoining Capt. Allan's on the north side and married the latter's sister. His son John lives on the old homestead - a respectable gentleman of over seventy winters.

About the year 1820 John Coady settled on the east side, a little above Margaree Forks. He was married to a Macdonald woman from Antigonish Harbor, but native of Moidart. This is why his family is sometimes called the "Scotch Coadys." He was a fine specimen of the genus homo and the untimely death of himself and his two brothers Martin and Peter by drowning in the harbor of Margaree in November, 1831 was a severe blow to their friends.

Several other Irish families took up farms between the Forks and the Chapel about this time, but most of these subsequently left the place. Among them were such names as Dunn, Ryan, Wright, Power, Griffin, Maddocks, Duggan, McCarthy and Fang (? DMF). Some of them probably profited by the change; but one thing is certain, the descendants of those who remained are among the most prosperous in the place. I am told that nearly all of those early Irish settlers hailed originally from the counties of Tipperary, Waterford and Kilkenny.

Archibald McFarlane and family came here from S. River, Antigonish, in 1822 and settled on the farm at S. W. Chapel, on which his sons Malcolm and Dougald now reside. He was a native of Moidart and married Margaret Gillis from Morar, who emigrated to Antigonish with one Donald Gillis (Oban), a maternal uncle. His father Dougald McFarlane (Dubhal Mac Phadring) was born in Glenurchafidh(?) and was married to a Macdonnell woman- Mairearad Dhun nighean Fir Chrolain - a sister of the famous "Spanish John" who died in Cornwall, Ontario, in 1820. The Macfarlanes came to Antigonish in the year 1801 in the ship "Dove of Aberdeen."

In the same year there came another settler from Antigonish, Hugh McIsaac, a native of Moidart. His son Donald, an amusing old gentleman, occupies his farm.

Between the years 1821 and 1825 there arrived the following:- Peter Gillis (Big), Archibald Gillis (Neil's son), who subsequently went to Ontario; Gillis Gillis and family; Angus Gillis (Malcolm's son), father of Hugh Gillis (Bridge), his brother John Gillis, tailor: Donald McLellan (Mac Aonghasic Neil) and his sons Donald, Archy, Ranald, (Andrew) John and Angus - all dead except Ranald who lives at S. W. Road; Angus, John and Allan McLellan, Malcolm's sons; Donald McLellan (Farquhar's son), father of Hugh McLellan, Broad Cove; Donald McLellan, (MacIan Ruadh); Alex McLellan (Ban), and Donald Gillis, (Duncan's son),- all natives of Morar, Scotland. (Gillis Gillis was a nephew of Peter Gillis "Big" -a brother's son)

In 1826 another contingent arrived:- John McDougall, Sr. and his sons John, Donald, Hugh, Angus, Duncan, Archy and two girls; Ranald McDonnell (Ban) and family Donald, Allan (,{?} - DMF) Sandy, Archy, Neil, James, John, Nancy and Catherine (the youngest of them born in this country); his (Ranald Ban's) step son, James Gillis, teacher, and his brother Angus McDonnell, Margaree Road; James McLellan and his son Angus and two daughters who afterwards married Jas. McDonald and Angus Gillis, Salmon River; Alex Gillis (Mac Ian), and the mountain Gillises,- all again natives of Morar. I will refer to these and some others more particularly in another place.

About this time another good Irish settler, James Carroll, took up a farm a mile below the chapel. His son William and daughter Mary and some grand children are now upon the place.

In the year 1828 Angus Gillis (Mac Eoghain), a native of Morar, came here from E. Bay. Most of his family are now dead. His son Hugh, an intelligent old gentleman, occupies the old homestead at Up. Margaree. About the same time Norman McDonald and the mountain Macdougalls came - the former from Moidart and the latter from Arisaig. It was, I believe, in the same year, that Rory McLellan, a native of Eigg, came here from Judique. He was married to a half-sister of Archy McFarlane's wife.

Donald Gillis (Irish), settled here about 1830. He was a Morar man and was married to a McGillivary woman from Antigonish.

In the year 1831, there came to Margaree Forks a brother of John Coady (Two notes unreadable, DMF) named Martin with his family James, John, Michael, Patrick, Peter, Martin, Mary and Ellen. His son James, a bright and active man of some eighty summers, lives on the old home. Another son, Patrick, lives in Coady Settlement. Some of the others are yet living in N. E. Parish.

In the year 1832 Angus Gillis (Mac Dhonnachaidh) of Morar stock I believe, came here from Judique, and in the following year Alexander McDonald (Mac Aonghais) an Arisaig man, came from Antigonish.

In the year 1836 Allan Gillis, Ban, Donald McLellan (MacIain ic Illeaspuig) and Andrew McDonnell, three Morar men, settled in the parish. The last came here from Lake Ainslie and married a sister of Samuel Campbell.

It was in this year also (1838), that Samuel Campbell, Esq., a native of Lochaber, came from Mabou and settled at Margaree Forks, where he carried on a lucrative mercantile business for a time. His large property, now shared among his sons, is among the finest in the country. He was twice married;- first to Ann Macdonald from Golden Grove, Margaree, an aunt of Tom MacDonald and the second time to a daughter of John McDonald, (Baron), Mabou.

In the year 1838 there arrived Rory McDonnell, Ban, Farquhar McLellan, Rear and Alex. McLellan, (N. Brunswick)- natives of Morar. (The reader, by this time, is beginning to think that this place should be called Morar or Morar River, judging from the large number from that Highland district that settled here.)

But in the year 1841 three more settlers came here from Morar, namely, - John McLellan (Big), Donald McLellan, cooper, and Allan McDonnell, (Beag).

In 1843 the McLeans arrived from Arisaig; the McLeods and Angus McIsaac, tailor from Eigg; Hugh Stuart from Moidart; John Gillis (Mac Rughail Ruaidh); Hugh Gillis (Alex. Ban); Archy Gillis, Ban, and his two sons Donald and Duncan - Sandy came nine years before - from Morar.

In 1844 James Coady, another brother of Martin and John referred to already, came here from Mirimachi and soon afterwards pitched his tent in Coady Settlement where his sons John and William still reside.

In 1846 Kenneth McKenzie settled in Piper's Glen. He was born on the gulf shore, Antigonish.

It was somewhere about this time that Patrick and Michael Waul arrived. Michael's family left the place a few years ago, but some of Patrick's family are still with us.

For the information of such of the young folks of the present generation as may feel interested in finding out the relationship existing between parties in this parish, beyond the first and second degrees of kindred - something not very generally known now-a-days - the writer will now give such of the early marriages as he could conveniently obtain.

The daughters of Archibald Cameron afterwards became Mrs. James Carroll, Mrs. McDonald, Judique Point, Mrs. McKinnon (Stephen), Mrs. Griffin, Mrs. Alex. McLellan, Ban, and Mrs. John Chisholm. The last named is said to have been the first white child born above the Forks. She is now over 80 years, but still quite active. Angus, Donald and Dougald Cameron were married to three sisters - Daughters of Archd. Chisholm.

(This Archd. Chisholm (An Gobhain Glasnach) a native of Strathglass(?) came here from Antigonish in 1810 or 14 and settled at Marg. Forks {unreadable - DMF} daughters mentioned he had three sons, John who {unreadable - DMF}Donald and {unreadable - DMF}.)

Michael was married to a McLeod woman from the N. East; Martin to Catherine McLellan (Niel Ban), Broad Cove; John to a daughter of Alex. McNeil (Savor), B. Cove; and Alex to a daughter of Hugh McDougall, B. C. Marsh.

The daughters of Archibald McFarlane afterwards became Mrs. Archd. McLellan, B. C. Mountain; Mrs. John Gillis, Gobha, Forks; Mrs. John Gillis, Bleeder, Upper Margaree; Mrs. John Gillis, Peter, S. West; Mrs. Angus McNeil, B. C. Ponds; and Mrs. Ranald McLellan, S. W. Road. John McFarlane, miller, was married to Janet Gillis, Donald's daughter, Judique; Angus McFarlane, miller, to Catherine McDonnell, Angus' daughter, Lake Ainslie, and sister to Andrew McDonnell; Malcolm the first time to Catherine Gillis, a native of Morar, and sister to Alex. Gillis, Mac Ian, and also to James Gillis, teacher, wife, - the second time to Sarah, daughter of the late John McLellan, Malcolm; James to Ann Coady, John's daughter; and Dougald to Catherine, daughter of the late John McDougall, tailor.

John McDougall, senr. - Iain Mac Eoghain ic Iain oig - was a wise and saintly man. He was for many years acting as a gille to Maighstir Raghail Mhoroir, and one or two letters he received from that Rev. gentleman, after coming to America, are yet in the possession of the family. He was married to Mary McLellan - Mairi Iain ic Dhomhuil from Morar. Her mother - Mor nigh'n Iain icUilleam - a Gillis woman, also came to America. They are all buried in MacDougall's old, but pretty graveyard. John McDougall, tailor, his oldest son, was married to Ann McDonald, a Knoydart woman; Hugh was married to Sarah McLellan, John Roy, Glenville, - Rev. Ranald McDougall, Margaree, is one of their sons; Angus to Margaret Gillis, a native of Stol, Morar; Duncan to a half-sister of Angus' wife; Archy to Mary McDonald from St. Margarets, P. E. Island; and Donald to a MacEachen woman from Judique. One of the girls was married to Angus Gillis, tailor, Glenville.

Angus Gillis, Malcolm's son and his brother John Gillis, tailor, Angus McLellan, Malcolm's son, and Archy Gillis, Ban, were married to the four sisters - Gillis women from Morar. Another sister was the mother of Andrew McDonnell.

Allen McLellan, Malcolm's son, and Capt. Allan McDonald were married to two sisters, daughters of Angus Smith, B. Cove, John McLellan, Malcolm's son, was married to Kate, daughter of John MacFarlane, senr., Margaree Harbor.

Donald and John Collins, Jr., were married to daughters of Alex. McNeil, saor, B. Cove, and Alex. Collins to a daughter of Donald McLellan, Ban, senr., Broad Cove.

Alex. Gillis, MacIain, was married to Ann Gillis, sister of Duncan McDougall's wife. James Gillis, teacher, was married to this Alexander's sister, Ann.

Ranald McLellan was married to Christy, a daughter of the late Archibald McFarlane; Archy to Isabel, a daughter of Donald McLellan, Farquhar's son; Andrew to Mary, a daughter of Peter Gillis; Donald (the poet, who died a few years ago at Mira), to Mary McIsaac from Strathlorne.

Duncan Gillis, Donald's son, was married to a daughter of Donald McLellan, Farquhar; Angus' and Finley's wives were sisters, daughters of Laughlin, brother of Angus McIsaac, tailor. Their mother was a sister of Samuel Campbell's first wife.

Ranald McDonnell, Ban was married to Ann, a sister of Alex. McLellan, Ban, S. West. His son Allan was married to a daughter of Gillis Gillis; Alex. to a daughter of John McLellan, red, Glenville, sister of Hugh McDougall's wife, and half-sister to the late Donald McLellan, S. W. Road; Archy to a daughter of Alex. Gillis, Mac Iain; Kate became the wife of Donald McEachern, B. Cove; and Ann the wife of the late John Gillis, bridge. Another son Donald, half-brother of the rest, was married to a daughter of Hugh McIsaac.

Hugh Gillis, bridge, was married the first time to a daughter of Angus Gillis, John, rear B. Cove, and the second time to Mary, daughter of the late Alex. McDonald, rear Upper S. West; his brother Donald to a daughter of Allan McLellan, Malcolm's son; Duncan to a daughter of Donald Gillis, Duncan; and John to Ann McDonnell, Ranald Ban; Catherine to Neil McLellan, Broad Cove Marsh. Their father Angus Gillis, Malcolm, and their uncle John Gillis, tailor, have been already referred to. Malcolm Gillis, John's son, was married to Flora, daughter of Duncan McDougall; Donald and John got married in the States; Ann was married to Angus Gillis, Little Judique; Christy and Catherine are married in Ontario.

Big John McLellan, Egypt, is married to Mary Gillis, from Morar. This woman is a first cousin of Hugh Gillis, bridge, on the one side, and of Donald McDonnell, S. W. Road, on the other. Big John's mother Ann was a sister to John McDougall, senr., - Iain Mac Eoghain ic Iain oig - hence the relationship with the MacDougalls of the South West. Mr. McLellan and his wife are about the oldest if not the very oldest married couple in the parish, and that they are good for another decade does not at all seem improbable.

Donald McLellan, Mount Pleasant, was married to a sister of William McDonald, rear Broad Cove; and his son Alexander to Margaret, daughter of Duncan McDougall. Allan McDougall, Beag, was married to a MacDonald woman from Morar, and a niece to Donald McLellan's, cooper, wife. This Ailean Beag's mother was Flora, a sister to big John McLellan's mother. Donald McLellan, cooper, was the son of Archy McLellan, a brother of the wife of John McDougall, senr.

Angus McDonnell, S. W. Road, (Ranald Ban's brother), was married to Isabella Gillis - Isabel nigh'n Domhuil ic Iain ic Uilleam - a niece of Mor nigh'n Iain icUilleam referred to already in the sketch of the McDougalls. As this Isabel was one of the famous "nine daughters," perhaps it would not be superfluous for me here to tell whom those of them who came to America were married. Ann to the late John McLellan, red, Glenville; Mary to Angus Gillis, Ban, (Mac Iain ic Dhubhail), Broad Cove; Flora to Neil McLellan, Ban, B. Cove; Jessie to James Ban McDonnell, Margaree; and another was married for a very short time to Angus Gillis, tailor, Glenville, (first marriage). Three others were married in Scotland.

Angus Gillis, Hugh, was married to a MacLeod (MacLean)woman, an aunt of the late Father Alex. MacLeod. His son Hugh to a daughter of Angus McDonnell, S. W. Road.

Peter Gillis, big, was a Hector, in the prime of life, but a kinder and warmer hearted man could not easily be found. He was married first to a Macdonnell woman, a grand-aunt of Donald McDonnell, Supt. of the Mabou Asylum, with issue: - John who married Ann, a daughter of Archd.. McFarlane and Nancy, who married Donald Gillis, S. W. Mabou; the second time to a daughter of Farquhar McLellan, B. Cove, with issue: Donald, who married a daughter of Allan McLellan, Malcolm's son; Ranald, to a daughter of John Gillis, Red, B. Cove; Malcolm, to a daughter of Angus McDonnell, Margaree Road; Angus, to a daughter of Angus McLellan, Malcolm's son; Hugh, to a daughter of Donald McIsaac (Archy); Ann to Hugh Gillis, Scottsville; Mary to Andrew McLellan, Donald's son, and Peggy, to John McLeod, Egypt. Hugh is said to have been the first white child born above the Chapel.

Gillis Gillis was married the first time to a Cameron woman, a near relative of the Camerons of South River, Antigonish, with issue, Duncan, who lived and died at East Bay, and one daughter, the wife of Alex. McDonald, rear Up. S. West; the second time to a McLellan woman, an aunt of Ranald McLellan, S. W. Road. His son Archy married a daughter of Neil Ban McLellan, B. Cove, and a sister of Martin Cameron's wife; James to a daughter of Godfrey Jamieson, B. Cove; and John to Margaret, daughter of Archd. McFarlane; Ann became the first wife of James Gillis, Gillis' Lake. This John was for a long time the only doctor in the place. He was wonderfully successful in treating patients, and often travelled long distances to see sick people. He was moreover, a good Seannachic, and was very fond of relating the adventures of Prince Charlie.

Donald McIsaac is married to a daughter of Alex. McPherson, tailor, Broad Cove, and sister to John McPherson, blacksmith. Donald Gillis (mountain) was married to a MacMillian (sic -DMF) woman from Judique. His brother John to a sister of the late John John (sic. DMF) McLennan, Broad Cove; John's son Angus (Saor), married a Kennedy woman from Strathlorne. The rest of the family are scattered, some in New Zealand and some in Minnesota.

James Coady (Irish), married Sarah, a sister of the late James Doyle of Margaree Forks. Rev. Moses Coady, of Harbor Bouche is one of their sons.

Martin Coady (John's son), married Ann McLellan, B. C. Mountain; Peter and James, the daughters of John McDonald (Og), Margaree, a brother of Alex. McDonald, rear Upper S. West; Donald, who lives at Ashdale, Antigonish, was married to a McLean woman from West River; John and Hugh unmarried; Ann to James McFarlane; Mary to John Ban McDonald, B. Cove Ponds, and Kate to Michael Dunn, Big Brook.

Alexander McDonald (Capt. Allan), married Jessie, daughter of Angus McLellan, James' son; Angus and John to Mary and Jessie, daughters of Malcolm McFarlane; Rory to a daughter of the late Donald McLellan, Mountain; Ann to Angus McDonald (Big), B. C. Marsh; Flora to Donald McLennan, Whale Cove; Kate to Alex. McIsaac, Bay St. Lawrence; and Jessie to Michael Cameron, Dougald's son.

Alexander McDougall, Mountain, was married to a MacPherson woman from Antigonish. His brother Donald McDougall, piper, to Nancy McLean, from Arisaig. Her brother, Donald McLean to Susy McDonald, a sister of Malcolm B. McDonald, Margaree; Hugh, to Mary, daughter of Angus McFarlane. Norman McDonald was married to a sister of the Mountain McDougalls. Angus McLellan, James' son, to a daughter of Hector McKinnon, B. Cove.

Malcolm McLellan (red), Allan Gillis, Sandy's son, Archy McLellan, Sandy ban's son, and Donald Campbell, Margaree Forks, are married to the four sisters - daughters of the late Duncan McLeod, of Broad Cove Marsh.

Alex. Gillis, Ban, was married to a MacLellan woman, a cousin of Farquhar and Alex. McLellan (N. Brunswick), who were themselves first cousins; Donald Gillis, Ban, was married to a daughter of Donald Gillis (Duncan) (Rebbeca?); Hugh Stuart to a daughter of John McVarish, weaver; Donald McLellan, Rory, to a daughter of Archy Gillis, Ban; his brother Malcolm to a daughter of Angus McLellan, Malcolm's son; John to a daughter of Hugh Stewart; Ranald to a daughter of John McLellan, Malcolm's son; Andrew to a daughter of Big John McLellan,(; DMF) John McDonald, Rear, to a daughter of Angus McIsaac, tailor; Archy McIsaac to a daughter ofAngus Gillis (MacDaonnachaidh); Duncan Gillis, Angus' son, to a daughter of Hector Campbell, Campbelltown; George McLeod to a McInnis woman from Judique. (John McLean to Sarah Matheson.)

Donald McLellan (MacIan Ruai h), (This Donald was a cousin - Mac peathar athair - to Margt. wife of Angus McDougall (Mac Iain ic Eoghain) S. West) was married the first time to a daughter of Hugh McDougall, B. Cove, and the second time to a daughter of Donald Ban McLellan, senr. B. Cove; Allan Gillis, Ban, was married to a McDougall woman , a cousin of the late John McDougall, tailor. Angus McLellan, Allan's son, to a daughter of John McFarlane; Malcolm McLellan, John's son, to a daughter of James Gillis; his brother John to a daughter of John Gillis, Peter's son; James GIllis, James' son, to a daughter of John McLellan, Malcolm's son.

Neil Jamieson to a daughter of Charles McKenzie; James McKenzie to a daughter of Hugh Stuart.

The marriages given cover a space of some fifty years. To give those that have taken place within the last thirty or forty years would make this sketch too voluminous; moreover it is unnecessary at the present time as they are easily found out. It is possible that the writer may have overlooked names that should have been given; but as everyone is liable to mistakes, he hopes that the interested reader will not attribute any imperfections in this sketch to sinister motives.

As the ideas and opinions of another person outside the parish may carry more weight especially when written with more energy and grace of style, I shall here add another extract from Mr. McDougall's clever sketches of Inverness.

"The early settlers of the South West were by no means exempt from the hardships incident to new countries. This was an inland settlement and the want of roads was more keenly felt than would be the case in sections facing the sea. The river, however, afforded the pioneers a precious guiding avenue of intercommunication. They went from place to place in canoes as far as those primative barges could be poled along, and when they could not proceed further with this conveyance, the men carried their necessities on their backs to their destination. The people of this locality have always been noted for their great stature and physical powers. It was nothing for those able pioneers to carry three bushels of salt on his back for eight or ten miles, and dance "Gille Calum" after getting home with as much cheer and spirit as if life had no burdens at all."

Referring to the physical powers of the early settlers reminds me of how Angus Cameron, Margaree Forks, came into full and undisputed possession of that lordlly heritage now owned by his sons John and Archy. While Angus, then a young man, began to make a clearing preparatory to his building and settling on the place, an Indian belonging to the neighborhood approached him one day and ordered him to cut no more trees, for the land was his, and asked him to leave the premises at once. Young Cameron returned a defiant answer and cooly proceeded with his work. The red man appeared again and again upon the scene, every successive day pressing his claims to the place more urgently, but with no satisfactory results. Finding that the white man was bound to "hold the fort," the Indian brave thought it would be too cowardly in him to take a final leave without making some effort to recover what he believed to be his lost rights. He therefore challanged Cameron to a duel, the victor to have the farm. Cameron readily accepted the challange, and the time and place were dfixed. When the hour came the Indian was there accompanied by his faithful squaw. The wrestling began; and as both were in the prime of life and fairly well matched in size and strength, the fight lasted for several minutes. Notwithstanding the encouraging and inspiring words of the devoted woman who leaped frantically around, the Indian's back soon began to yield under the iron grip of his antagonist, and in a short time he was upon the broad of his back upon the green sward by the river side. The Indian rose, bade adieu to the victor, went his way and nobly kept his promise. He soon left the place and was seen no more.

Speaking of "Gillie Calum" in the second paragraph, recalls to mind that dancing schools were in those early times considered indispensable institutions. These schools were invariably well attended for several weeks in the winter months, and always ended with a good ball. For good reasons, I presume, these schools are and have been for many years forbidden by the proper authorities, with the result, however, that good dancers are now few and far between. The quadrille is now becoming more or less fashionable, but it would be folly for you to try to persuade one of the old folks that there is any science, fun or exercise "anns an dol mun cuairt ud."

At the request of a few interested parties I would ask space for the following family connections, which were omitted from their proper place in the sketch.

Iain MacIlleaspuig, father of the late Donald McLellan, Mt. Pleasant, was brother of Alex. McLellan, Ban, and of Ann, the wife of Ronald McDonnell, Ban, and of others in Broad Cove.

Donald McLellan (MacAonghais) was married to a Gillis woman from Mallaig, Morar, Mairi nighean do Dhomhul Mac Mhartinn. Some of her relatives are in Mira, Cape Breton.

Angus McLellan's (Mac Sheumais) paternal uncle was the father of the late Malcolm McLellan, the famous classical scholar, who taught school for many years at Margaree and in other parts of Eastern Nova Scotia. A paternal aunt of the same man was the mother of Alex. Gillis (Mac Iain.)

Hugh Gillis' (Bridge) father, Aonghas Mac Calum ic Dhomhuil ic Dhonnachaidh (? DMF), was a brother of Archibald McFArlane's wife.

Angus Gillis, Hugh, was a brother of John Gillis (Gobha), Forks and of Donald and Duncan Gillis of S. W. Mabou.

Malcolm McLellan (Ban), father of the late John, Allan and Angus was a maternal uncle of the late John McLennan and of the wife of Duncan McLeod, Broad Cove Marsh, and others.

John D. Cameron, Forks, is married to a daughter of Donald Chisholm, Heatherton, and a sister to William (John) Chisholm's wife.

Patrick Waul was married the first time to Honora Quinan, a lady from Ireland, and the second time to Mary Ryan from the N. East.

Michael Waul and John McIntosh were married to the two sisters, daughters of the late Martin Coady.

Patrick Coady and his cousin John are also married to two sisters, Hylan women from the Strait of Canso. William Coady is married to a daughter of Andrew Dunn, Big Brook.

The first scholars that sprung into prominence were William Carrol, Martin Gillis, who died in Quebec when about to be ordained into the priesthood; Angus Gillis (Hugh), Dugald McLellan, Peter McLellan (Peter's name twice, crossed out once), who was nearly through studying law when he died, and who was one of the first of Inverness' sons to take Grade A; Michael Waul, Alex. McLellan, Duncan Campbell, M.D.; Dan Chisholm, M.D.; Donald and Angus McLellan, Donald J. Gillis, Donald R, McLellan, now station master at Sydney; Daniel Collins and James McFarlane.

Years after we find the following: Malcolm H. Gillis, A. S. McDougall, Archy McLellan, Duncan McFarlane, Peter Gillis, Archibald Cameron, Patrick Coady, now a medical practitioner in Newton, Mass.; Moses Coady, now parish priest of Harbor Bouche; Ranald McDougall, now parish priest of Margaree; Jane, Maggie (and -DMF) Flora Gillis, now Mrs. John McDougall, Banks; Mrs. John Murphy, Mrs. Hugh Gillis, Gillis' lake, respectively; and another sister, Isabella, afterwards a Sister of Charity; Jessie McDonnell, now Mrs. McDonald, Gillis's Lake; Eliza Coady, afterwards Mrs. Doucette; Catherine Gillis, afterwards Mrs. McCormack; D. D. McFarlane, John A. McFarlane, Archy McFarlane, Angus McDonald, H. J. (J. crossed out, Y. inserted - DMF) Mc Donald, James D. Gillis, Angus A. McDonald, Maggie McDonald, Angus (Angus crossed out, unreadable inserted - DMF) McLellan, Helen Coady, Peter Coady and Michael Coady.

The following are over 80 years of age and the first two or three of them are pressing hard on ninety; Mrs. Alex. Gillis, Mr. and Mrs. John McLellan, Mr. and Mrs. Angus McFarlane, Mrs. Allan McDonnell, Mrs. Donald McLellan, Mrs. John Gillis, Mrs. Andrew McDonnell, Malcolm McFarlane, Ranald McLellan, Donald McIsaac, Mr. and Mrs. John Chisholm, James Coady, senr., Mrs. Farquhar McLellan, James Gillis, Alex. McLellan, Mary Gillis and Mary McIsaac.

In the year 1832 the first chapel was built at the South West. It was called St. Andrew's. Its size was 40 by 30 feet, and 18 feet post. The contractor was a Mr. Pringle from near the Strait of Canso. A vestry was added several years afterward. Though not a very imposing structure the old church was as good, as large and as substantial as the limited means of the good old pioneers would allow. They were all good, practical Catholics; no trivial reason would prevent them from hearing Mass on Sundays and holidays; and it was edifying to witness the attention and devotion with which they assisted at Divine Sacrifice. Though the main building was never heated during cold weather - and mind you the days of the overcoat and rubber shoe had not then arrived - yet on the coldest Sunday in midwinter the litte church of St. Andrew's would always be filled with a crowd of devout worshippers.

The Wardens at the time were Archibald McFarlane, John McDougall, tailor, and Angus Gillis (Hugh). The first glebe house was built in 1840 or 1841 by John Gillis (Bridge). The present church was built in 1874(?). Its size is 70 x 42 feet and 28 feet post. It is a plain, substantial, well-proportioned woodenbuilding, and at the time of its erection was concidered the best of its kind in the diocese. The contract on building the church itself was awarded to John McLellan, D.'s son, Mt. Pleasant; but he dying in a few months the work was afterwards taken up by his brother Archy. The contract soon again passed into the hands of Hugh McEachern, who finished it the following year. The second glebe housse was built in 1875 by Hugh Gillis, John's son. This house was burned down in February, 1887. The present house was built in the following summer by James McEachern, Glenville. The wardens at the time of building the new chapel were Malcolm McFarlane, John McDougall, tailor, James Carroll and Hugh Gillis. Soon after the first three resigned and John Collins, Malcolm McLellan and the late Alex. McDonald were appointed in their places.

The magistrates in the place at present are Archibald McDougall, James Coady, Dougald A. McFarlane, Alexander McLellan and Joseph B. McDougall. S. Campbell, Allan McDonnell, Alex. McDonald and John J. McFarlane are dead for some years.

Previous to the year 1824, the people of S. W. Margaree, Broad Cove, Lake Ainslie and other neighboring parishes were ministered to in their spiritual wants for several years by the Rev. Alex. McDonnell from Judique. His mission being a large one, he could visit these northern parishes of Inverness but seldom, probably once a year. Some of the good old folk of those days quite often walked all the distance from Margaree and Broad Cove to Judique, to make their confessions, a distance of some 40 miles.

It must be remembered that until the year 1873 all the priests, with one exception, who had charge of the parish of S. W. Margaree had their home in Broad Cove, about ten miles distant. The first priest stationed there was Father John Chisholm from Antigonish. He came in 1824 or '25, and remained about a year. He went to Arichat and was afterwards drowned going to Newfoundland. Father Lawlor was the next. He came in 182(6) and remained until about 1833. For a few years after this the people were again dependant upon the occasional and much looked for visits of Father McDonnell from Judique. Father Alex. McLeod came about the year 1835. He was removed in 1845, when his cousin, Father William McLeod, took his place. He was given another parish in 1850, when Father John Grant took charge. Father Grant died at S. W. Margaree in the spring of 1867. Father Ranald McGillivary took charge of both parishes in 1866, as Father Grant was ill at the time. The exception referred to above is Rev. James McIntyre, from P. E. Island, who had charge of S. W. and N. E. Margaree parishes for one year, the year 1849. Father Joseph McLeod, a native of Broad Cove, was stationed here in 1873. He died in 1877. Father McGillivary of Broad cove, died the year before and was succeeded by the present esteemed incumbant, Rev. Donald Chisholm. On the death of Father McLeod, Father Chisholm was given charge of the two parishes until the year 1880, when Rev. Finlay J. Chisholm, our present beloved pastor, was appointed to the parish of South West.

(There are -DMF) about 120 families in the (parish with a -DMF) population of something less (than 1000) sand.

There was never any scarcity of musicians here. Violinists and bag-pipe players could be counted by the dozen, and many of them excellant performers at that. I have often seen as many as eight, ten and twelve musicians at a wedding - a circumstance not at all to be considered unimportant, when the success of a good old Highland wedding depends so much upon it. Among the first musicians of the place may be mentioned Hugh (Hugh crossed out, John inserted) Gillis, his brother William, and one or two McIsaacs, violinists; Donald McDougall, Hugh Gillis, his brother Donald Gillis, Ranald McLellan, Neil Jamieson, Duncan Gillis, John McDonnell, pipers.

Some years afterwards we find the following: Donald A. McDougall, and his brother Ranald; Duncan J. Gillis andhis brother Allan; Malcolm H. Gillis and his brother Angie; Duncan McFarlane and his brother Angus B.; Martin Gillis, Jas D. Gillis and Jos. A. McFarlane. Among the pipers we may mention: Peter Gillis and his brother Dan, Hugh McIsaac, Angus and Patrick McFarlane, John and Charlie Jamieson, Jim H. Gillis, Malcolm (D?. McFarlane, ???? McFarlane and ????- DMF) McLellan. Many of these can play on more than one musical instrument, and I know two or three young ladies in the parish who could play very sweetly on both the violin and bagpipes.

Five choirs of singers learned various chants since 30 or 40 years. The following persons gave instructions in sacred music to young men and women in the parish: Angus McLellan (Donald Gobha's son); ---- Fraser from Antigonish; Hugh McPherson, the late Dr. McPherson, N. Sydney; Allan McDonald, photographer, Mabou; Angus Campbell and Malcolm H. Gillis.

This place has also produced poets of some fame; but as the notes of the birds always betray the locality in which they sing, so the compositions of these bards have found and will find them out in good time, and it is therefore unnecessary for me to give names just now. They cannot hide themselves.

Several of the foolish old country customs, such as halloween tricks and drinking at funerals, have been dropped many years ago, but many other innocent amusements, like halloween fuarag, telling old sgeulechdan and singing Gaelic songs are still retained. The people are sober and law-abiding here as in any part of the Province. It may be said that not a drop of liquor has been sold in the parish for the last 30 years, a fact due more to the vigilance of our present pastor and his predecessors than to the doubtful effect of the Scott Act or any other act upon morals of the community.

The parish forms a part of two Municipal districts. The following were, at one time or another, Municipal Councillors: Alex. McDonald (Capt. Allan), and A. S. McDougall for the District of Broad Cove Marsh; Dougall McFarlane, James McFarlane and Angus Collins for the District of S. W. Margaree.

About the year 1830, the first foot bridge was built across the South West River. A few years afterwards a bridge for general purposes was built on the site of the present one. Two other wooden bridges were successively built on piers before the present one of iron superstructure and concrete abutments was put up in 1884. The S. W. Branch is spanned by three more bridges, one at Margaree Forks, one at Up. Margaree, and the third at Scottsville (outlet).

There are at present three stores in the parish, one grist-mill, five saw-mills and four blacksmith shops and two tailor shops. The first grist-mill was built in 1833 by the Macfarlanes of Upper Margaree, and the first saw-mill in 1859 by John Gillis, tailor's son, of the same place. The first men to do business here were Capt. Allan McDonald, Samuel Campbell, Allan McDonnell, John McLennan and John P. McFarlane. (and John Mc????? Johnson, Up. Marg.) The late Isaac McLeod of Strathlorne also opened a shop here and ran it for many years. D. E. McKay continued for several years the business commenced by Mr. McLeod. The present shopkeepers are Angus Collins & Co., an enterprising and successful firm; Angus McDonald and John D. McLellan.

In the year 1826 the first school house was built at Capt. Allan McDonald's, - hence it is that the section is known to this day as Capt. Allan's. The fisrt teacher was a man named Jordan. Soon afterwards schools were established at Margaree Forks and at Up. S. West (McFarlane's). Thomas Delworth's Spelling Book, James Gray's Arithmetic ("the gray") and writing were about all the branches then on the school curriculum. In these the children of the pioneers made wonderful progress, and had they one-third of the advantages enjoyed by the children of the present generation it would not require a "storied urn" or "animated bust" to render their names immortal. Judging from accounts given of those early teachers, some of them were not scholars in any sense of the word. It is recorded of one that when teaching grammar, instead of learning the principal parts of the verbs in the ordinary way, he told the class to learn all the words in the present column one day, all the words in the past column the second day, and all the words in the past participle column the third day!

Those teachers were generally very strict, and the fawz(? -DMF) was always close at hand. It appears that corporal punishment was more common then than now, and that the early schoolmaster, upon the slightest provocation could whip severly the smallest and tenderest child with impunity. He generally "boarded round," and great calm would be sure to prevail in every house during his stay, so much were the young children intimidated by his presence. The young boys were kept in school more regularly than their little sisters, - indeed many old folks believed their daughters' chances of success in life were not by any means bettered by their attending school for a few years.

Within a more recent period the following sections were formed: Mount Pleasant, Egypt, Piper's Glen, Macdougall's, Gillis' Mountain, and Kiltarlity.